Mother Nature is Medicine

Mother Nature is Medicine
MOTHER NATURE IS MEDICINE. The Creator has given us everything that we need. It is all here on this Earth and in the Universe. It can be found in the Earth, in the Sky, in the Waters, in the Air. Often times, we, as humans, tend to view nature as something that is "apart" from ourselves. We talk of spending time "in nature." We, in a sense, distance ourselves. In reality, we ARE "a - part" as well. The Great Spirit put us here and blessed us and our ancestors with this beautiful earth. Embracing the Creator and the natural blessings is food & nourishment for the body, mind, and soul. Nature is medicine. ~Peace and Blessings~

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Vegan for a Day - at University

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts how we don't need to eat meat. Fruits and vegetables contain all the nutrients that our body needs, but as humans, we've grown accustomed to eating animals for centuries now. Some people eat other animals based on tradition and one's culture, or just simply because it tastes good, and it really does taste good, especially when seasoned right and cooked well done.

I eat meat, and I admit, I enjoy it, but I also eat 'vegetarian' a lot. However, for a while now, I have wanted to try going through a whole day as a Vegan. So many people see "vegan" or being "vegan" as such a strange, abnormal concept, but it really isn't! When you eat fruits and vegetables (without any animal products added) - that is "vegan". Vegetable soup (only using vegetable broth etc.) - that's vegan too. Even Oreo cookies are vegan! I know a lot of people who eat meat eat oreos too.

So why does "vegan" have to be something so out of the ordinary, out of the norm? I think this question goes back to our perspective of the world and of the society in which we live in, as well as  the history of mankind. It also reaches toward the concept of socialization. Since when, and how, and why, did eating animals become a norm? Why is it acceptable in some societies, but forbidden in others? Food for thought, wouldn't you say?

This past Wednesday, I wanted to try eating only "Vegan" accepted foods. It was much difficult to do on campus university. I believe that at home, where I can cook my own foods, this "challenge" would have been a lot easier - just like eating healthier can be easy if done at home. Eventually, I will try Vegan for a full week. At this moment in my life, I do not think I will eat only vegan foods, for one reason I want to travel the world and try all sorts of cuisine!

For now, here is what I could find at University.

Breakfast (just foods from my own pantry because the only vegan food that the cafeteria offers is some fruit)


sliced green apple with natural peanut butter and cinnamon; one medjool date


this literally tastes like carrot, like watery carrots
 I always wondered what carrot juice tasted like...well, it's certainly not the tastiest drink; I only drank it because it's good for you...I'm like that, it's ok. I've got a long way to go with this one, so next time I'm adding some orange juice! I usually can only tolerate about 4oz. of this.

gotta have Runa. natural tea from the Amazonian guayusa plant


Snack

water, corn nuts, and peaches


Dinner

salad
french fries are vegan too! (if cooked in the right oil)


Late-Night snack studying at the library




No comments:

Post a Comment